Lineup includes more than 16 events and 22 partners assembled to spur new businesses, strengthen existing businesses and inspire makers of all ages
CONWAY–The Conductor is hosting Global Entrepreneurship Week Central Arkansas, a weeklong series of workshops, events, pitch competitions, hands-on STEM activities and panel discussions for entrepreneurs, makers and students of all ages, from all disciplines. The events will be held Nov. 13-18.
Started by the Global Entrepreneurship Network, in partnership with the Kauffman Foundation, Global Entrepreneurship Week is a celebration of the innovators and job creators who launch startups that bring ideas to life, drive economic growth and expand human welfare. In its 10th year, Global Entrepreneurship Week works with over 170 countries around the world, and reaches nearly 10 million participants annually. This is the second year for the Global Entrepreneurship Week Central Arkansas chapter.
Kim Lane, COO of the Conductor and Director of Global Entrepreneurship Week Central Arkansas, founded the chapter in 2016.
“Global Entrepreneurship Week is a great way to encourage the community to explore the ideas of business creation and problem-solving in an approachable, no-barriers-to-entry format,” Lane said. “This year’s events address some of the major pain points entrepreneurs face, while also inspiring and catalyzing the next generation of entrepreneurs. We’re excited to offer everything from a Digital Technology and Intellectual Property Law Workshop to a casual fireside chat with the Executive Vice President of Operations at AEDC to a Youth Maker Training in UCA’s Makerspace.”
Arkansas’ Global Entrepreneurship Week events have brought Arkansas international prominence. In March 2017, Lane served as a US Delegate to the Global Entrepreneurship Congress in Johannesburg, South Africa to share insights about Central Arkansas’ local chapter and the strong university and community partners in Conway. A fellow delegate from the Democratic Republic of the Congo later traveled to Conway to benchmark Conductor programs and replicate them in Africa; and the Central Arkansas chapter was recently highlighted on the international Global Entrepreneurship Network website.
“We’re so excited to be the epicenter of Global Entrepreneurship Week Central Arkansas,” said UCA President Houston Davis. “These events enable faculty, staff and students to collaborate under the banner of entrepreneurship, which will have a lasting impact on our students and community development.”
One of the campus-community events offered during Global Entrepreneurship Week is High School Startup Day. During the half-day workshop, high school students from around the state convene on UCA’s campus and work in teams to identify a problem they face in high school education. The teams research and explore the problem through entrepreneurial processes before pitching their solutions to a panel of judges at the end of the day. In addition to area high schools, the event will welcome student teams from Sheridan High School, Cutter Morning Star, eStem High School and the Metropolitan Career Center. UCA students will serve as mentors to the high schoolers throughout the day.
The weeklong celebration will culminate with IdeaFame Live, a pitch competition in which innovators, entrepreneurs and dreamers have the opportunity to pitch their ideas in 60 seconds or less for a chance to win $2,000 in prizes. IdeaFame Live will take place on Saturday, Nov. 18 at the Bear Grounds Tailgate prior to the last home game of the year.
Events for Global Entrepreneurship Week Central Arkansas 2017 include:
Monday, November 13
- Government Contracting Step-by-Step with Wanda May (Business Opportunity Specialist at the SBA), and Mary Love (Arkansas Government Contracting Specialist at the Cooperative Extension Service) | 8:30a-9:30a | UCA Makerspace
- Sales for Startups with Glenn Crockett, Founder of Dave Creek Media | 11:30a-1p | UCA Makerspace
- Arkansas Coding Academy Demo Day | 1-3p | UCA Downtown
- 3D Print Your Own Thanksgiving Cookie Cutter! | 5-6p | UCA Makerspace
Tuesday, November 14
- High School Startup Day (pitch portion at noon is open to the public) | Noon-1p | McCastlain Ballroom at UCA
- Laser Engrave a Thanksgiving Cutting Board! | 11:30a-1p | UCA Makerspace
- Youth Maker Training | 4-5p | UCA Makerspace
Wednesday, November 15
- Game Changers featuring Stoby’s | 11:30a-1p | UCA Makerspace | Stoby’s provided!
Thursday, November 16
- Marketing for Startups: Learn How to Be Your Own Ad Agency, a Panel Discussion with Eric Rob & Isaac | 8:30-9:30a | UCA Makerspace
- Digital Technology & Intellectual Property Law with Amanda Denton of PPGMR Law | 11:30a-1p | UCA Makerspace
- How to Deliver the Perfect Pitch with UCA Professor Ron Duggins | 1:30-2:30p | UCA College of Business Room 315
- Startup Grind featuring Amy Fecher, Executive Vice President of Operations at AEDC | 5-8p | UCA Makerspace
Friday, November 17
- Minority & Women-Owned Businesses: What to Know and Where to Start (with Pat Brown, Director of Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise at AEDC) | 8:30-9:30a | UCA Downtown
- How to Finance Your Startup, a Panel Discussion with Jason Culpepper, Community President of Simmons Bank; Kevin Griffin, Executive Vice President of Exchange Capital; Kenny Kinley, Co-Founder of Cadron Creek Capital; and Herbert Lawrence, Lender Relations Specialist at the US Small Business Administration | 11:30a-1:30p | UCA Downtown
- Student Fashion Show/Startup Exhibition | 1018 Oak St., Conway, AR 72032 | 6-8p
Saturday, November 18
- IdeaFame Live | 1-2:30p | Bear Grounds Tailgate
More details about Global Entrepreneurship Week, and a list of the events and links to register, are available at http://www.arconductor.org/gew/.
About the Conductor
The Conductor, a public-private partnership with the University of Central Arkansas and Startup Junkie, drives innovation, entrepreneurship economic empowerment and talent development in central Arkansas through high-impact programming, one-on-one consulting, commercialization support and collaboration.
About UCA’s Makerspace, Powered by the Conductor
UCA’s Makerspace, Powered by the Conductor, is a place for students and the community to make, design and dream. The Makerspace is open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., and holds regular community classes, workshops and Maker Certification training for people of all ages. All of the classes and events in the Makerspace are free and open to the public.